Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Antichrist (2009)

*Get a physical copy of "Antichrist" on Amazon here*
*Get the "Antichrist" Original Motion Picture Soundtrack on Amazon here*
*Get "Antichrist" wall decor on Amazon here*
*Get a copy of Lars von Trier (Contemporary Film Directors) by Linda Badley on Amazon here*

I hate Lars von Trier. Among some of the worst films I have ever seen rest "Breaking the Waves," "Dancer in the Dark," and the artsy-putrid "Dogville."

An unnamed married couple (Charlotte Gainsbourg and Willem Dafoe) have a stolen sexual moment together. Their toddler son, the only other cast member, tumbles out of their apartment window to his death. Dafoe, a therapist, retreats to the family's cabin in the woods with the still grieving Gainsbourg. Being a better therapist than a husband, Dafoe tries to draw Gainsbourg out, and the two begin manipulating each other psychologically. Eventually, violence is resorted to, as von Trier grabs the viewer by the throat and makes us watch wide-eyed at what seemingly rational and educated human beings are capable of doing to each other and themselves.

Across the world, von Trier's work has generated many a thesis, film studies book, and dissertation. I have a feeling everyone with an opinion about this film will have a different take on it, with none of them being wrong. For the purpose of this review, I will stick to the filmic aspects. Both Dafoe and Gainsbourg are astounding. Dafoe is one of the most interesting actors working, unafraid of this intense material. I only remembered Gainsbourg as a demure "Jane Eyre" a few years ago, but she, too, inhabits her character. I don't know who else was approached to play this hopelessly damaged couple, but I cannot imagine any other performers doing this. Dafoe and Gainsbourg turn in the best performances of their careers.

Von Trier's screenplay is like none I have seen filmed. We have a psychological domestic drama played against a Sam Raimi/"Evil Dead" backdrop. The scary monsters aren't under the bed, and aren't hiding in the woods. They are in the heads of our couple, and manifest themselves in Nature itself. I've never been a fan of von Trier's "kinetic" direction, the shaky Dogme crap drove me nuts, but this style doesn't seem as pronounced here. I don't know if von Trier's confidence in his own material finally peaked, but I really appreciated it. The film's look is beautiful and dark, the music and sound are deft, and the other technical aspects are hard to forget. Film critic Roger Ebert wrote that through this film, von Trier had shaken him. I would add to that statement and say that I can't shake this film. I am a fan of the obscure and avant-garde, and "Antichrist" affected me like no film since "Pixote." This film is infuriating, vile, and nihilistic, but will also ruin other films for you, at least for a few days.

I still hate Lars von Trier, but thanks to "Antichrist," I now respect him.

Stats:
(2009) 108 min. (* * * * *) out of five stars
-Written and Directed by Lars von Trier
-Cast: Charlotte Gainsbourg, Willem Dafoe
(Unrated)



Exhibition (1975)

* Get a copy of A Call to Purity: Living a Lifestyle of Purity by Richard & Brittni De La Morra on Amazon here * * Get a copy of 7 Lie...